Mephedrone acts as a psychoactive drug that is a synthetic cannabinoid with stimulant properties. It stimulates the central nervous system, which in turn excites physical and mental functions. It is also termed as 4-methylephedrone or 4-methyl methcathinone (4-MMC).
This bath salt drug belongs to the cathinone group of drugs, which is naturally obtained from the Khat plant. This drug was initially advertised as a research chemical and considered as a legal drug as an alternative to other drugs like ecstasy, cocaine, and speed. People use it occasionally for pleasure as it speeds up the action potential between brain, and body producing similar effects like cocaine, MDMA, and amphetamines.
Mephedrone is a white or yellowish powder that is present in diverse forms like crystals, capsules (filled with powdered mephedrone), pills, powder, and injections. It has the smell of vanilla, bleach, electric circuit boards, and urine. The powdered mephedrone is either swallowed by mixing with foodstuff or drink, inhaled through the nasal pathway, and bombing by cigarette with effects enduring to 2-3 hours. The injections of mephedrone are taken intravenously with effects of enjoyment and relaxation that persists for half an hour. Mephedrone is most frequently consumed with alcohol, and it improves the psychostimulant effects of mephedrone by increasing the release of dopamine at nerve junctions.
Mephedrone was first manufactured by using 4-methylpropiophenone treated with glacial acetic acid in 1929 and rediscovered in 1999-2000. Mephedrone is a chiral complex that exhibits potency to act as a substrate at the dopamine transporter. It has the chemical formulae C11H15NO.
Fig.1 Mephedrone chemical structure
The only one oxygen molecule is keto oxygen that makes this complex more hydrophilic. This legal high drug can cross the blood-brain barrier.
The effects of mephedrone differ from person to person. It depends upon the volume of the drug taken, combinations with other drugs, and potency of the drug. After taking the drug, it produces the following effects.
- It makes a person glad, thrilled, and feel energetic in doing work.
- This street drug produces effects of euphoria, improved mood, and enhanced admiration of music, thus making its more usage through parties and events.
- Mephedrone act as a sexual stimulant by improving psychological functions.
- Mephedrone raises the affection to people living around you and makes you vigilant.
- The user becomes talkative (wish to talk more and more) and increase the desire of re-doze.
The side effects of the drug are:
- Users feel nausea, headache, restlessness, obsessed, and feeling of sick.
- Overdose of this bath salt drug may lead to overstimulation of the nervous system. This results in hallucination (seeing unnatural things), paroxysms, and feeling of agitation. Blubbing of mephedrone can cause blazes and nose hemorrhage.
- This street drug reduces hunger, harms heart and circulation, and tachycardia (high blood pressure with hot flushes). Its overdose also triggers muscle stress of face and jaw, crushing of teeth, distorted vision, restless sleep, sweating, and even memory loss.
Mephedrone is used as a street drug. The street drug list name of mephedrone contains meow-meow (most commonly), white magic, bubbles, M-smack, drone, Meph, Charge, MC, bounce, M-dog, and M-cat.